The Otero county commissoners are holding a special meeting on July 24th at 6 pm in the commission chambers in Alamogordo to review and take further public comment on this draft ordinance.  They will proceed to schedule a public hearing on the final draft and then vote to accept it.

If you own domestic animals or livestock (even bees) you should be aware of this ordinance. The original ordinance was three pages this one is 28 at present.

If passed there will be numerous permits and fees required as well as double fencing your livestock away from property lines.

If you do not have access to the county ordinances let me know. I might be able to email you a copy.

Views: 143

Replies to This Discussion

Those guys are a bunch of fools. They have tried to pass multiple restrictive ordinances in the name of fire safety, and all sorts of trumped up stuff every since they took office in the last election cycle - mostly to bash the Federal Government. Every time they try, the public has an absolute fit. Hopefully this ordinance goes nowhere too. The farmers in my area are livid about it.

Thanks for sending me the draft.  We'll be reading it thoroughly before the meeting on the 24th.  I'll see if I can post it on fb, too.  Not sure it will work but will try.

I would love to see a copy of it.

I have saved a copy. What is your email address?

Paul McCarty said:

Not sure either. Anyone that wants it I can email to them as I saved a copy. Some of the ordinance is good as far protecting animals from cruel treatment.

Diana Calkins said:

Thanks for sending me the draft.  We'll be reading it thoroughly before the meeting on the 24th.  I'll see if I can post it on fb, too.  Not sure it will work but will try.

Paul, I emailed a copy to Brenda, since I already have her email address.

Patricia Drake said:

Paul McCarty said:

Thanks Diana. I am trying to get this draft to anyone who is interested, appreciate you forwarding it to Paul.

Diana Calkins said:

Paul, I emailed a copy to Brenda, since I already have her email address.

Patricia Drake said:

Paul McCarty said:

Thanks!

Diana, can you send me a copy also. Thanks

They've been sent, Jane.

Just a reminder to everyone who is able you might want to attend the Meeting on July 24th at 6 pm. The commission chambers is in the old forest service office building at 1101 New York in Alamogordo.

I just received a response from our district commissioner that he was unaware that the section on livestock was in the ordinance and that it should be removed.  However even if he does vote against the ordinance the other two commissioners could pass it with a two to one vote.  If you have an opinion or concerns about the ordinance, please attend.

Anyone else going to this meeting? I am planning on going.

RSS

Welcome

The New Mexico Beekeepers Association is a non-profit organization of private beekeepers, commercial beekeepers, persons interested in promoting the importance of the honey bee in the environment, and businesses related to the honey industry. Representing all regions of New Mexico, the Association maintains a close affiliation with the State of New Mexico's Department of Agriculture. Membership in the Association is open to all interested persons.

2014 Association Officers

President: Jessie Brown, president@nmbeekeepers.org

Vice President: Craig Noorlander, vicepresident@nmbeekeepers.org

Secretary: Mike Fickling, secretary@nmbeekeepers.org

Treasurer: D.J. Nickles, treasurer@nmbeekeepers.org

Board: 

Phill Remick, memberatlarge1@nmbeekeepers.org

Taylor Horst, memberatlarge2@nmbeekeepers.org

Membership dues are $30 per year for a family, $15 for membership from July 1-Dec 31st. 

Become a Member 

Contact us

Directory of Resources

© 2014   Created by Info NM Beekeepers Association.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service